Friday, December 10, 2010

Taco Got Chocolate Wasted!

Last night I arrived home to a very sick Chihuahua.  I did not put my CHOCOLATE covered power berries up high enough and Taco ate the 3/4 of a bag that was left.

The poor guy had vomited all over the house (only on the tile, God love him), drank all of his water, and his head was wet; he must have been in the shower trying to get more water.

I took him outside and he went in the bushes where he got sick three more times.  As sick as he was, his true Chihuahua shined through, in the middle of getting sick he ran over to bark at the dog on the other side of the fence. 

Back inside, I got him to drink water while I quickly did some internet research and contacted my friend who has two miniature pinchers. I had a feeling he had experience with this kind of thing.

Sure enough, one of his dogs had eaten about the same amount  of chocolate.  He had called animal poison control and what they said concurred with what I found on the internet.  They are going to be sick, but it would take 10 times that amount to kill them.

I had him drink water to flush his system and took him out every 30 minutes until around midnight.  Both sources suggested monitoring the dog and if there heart started beating erratically or they became lethargic to take them to the emergency vet. 

I had the emergency vet's address saved in my GPS and was ready to go if I needed to.  Luckily it didn't come to that.  I woke up to check on him and take him out through out the night and he seemed to get better as the night went on.

 Now about 20 hours since he ate the chocolate Taco has a chocolate hangover and I am Taco proofing my new residence.

No comments:

Post a Comment